Pugin's master Builder
Brilliant by design
George myers - a lasting legacy
In an area famed for Edwardian and Victorian design, one builder stood atop as the prime inspiration for Myers Court.
Originally from Hull, George E. Myers’ meteoric rise as Master Builder led him to become right-hand man for famed early-1800’s architect Augustus Pugin. One of the eras most respected and prolific builders, he was commissioned for work by both Prince Albert and the Rothschild family, building Mentmore Towers pictured above between 1852 and 1854 – his opus being his award-winning Gothic Revivalist work at The Great Exhibition of 1851.
He later lived and finished his career in Clapham, his pioneering buildership constructing many homes on the same area, with his exacting standards of luxury and elegance reflected in Myers Place.
The luxurious craftsmanship of Myers Court takes inspiration from George Myers. Amongst many prestigious achievements in London and England, master builder Myers built the grand villas on Elms Road – including the original Victorian villa which was located on the Myers Court site.
the grand villas of elms road
Extract from Clapham Area Land Registry 1874 Ordnance survey map, showing the original villa and coach house
at 6 elms road.